Email us your wedding photos! You could be featured in our booth at the Portland Bridal Expo and on our blog!
Photo by www.jessicahillphotography.com • Dress by Rebekah Fink
All fabrics for gown used from Fabric Depot’s Bridal Department.
The first two reindeer, like this one pictured here, were created by me 16 years ago. One was a gift to a friend, and the other was for me. The third reindeer that I had planned to make was for my daughter, but since she was living in a basement apartment, she felt that she didn’t have the room to display one. My son-in-law, Michael, was disappointed. He really wanted the reindeer.
Sixteen years later, I decided to make the third one. Finally in August, the supplies I’d collected years ago for this project came out of their containers and lay on top of my cutting table, ready for my attention. All of my spare time over the next few months was put into making the reindeer. Then in October, it was finished at last. Proudly, I stepped back looking at it, and was quite pleased that I had finished with great results. It was now ready to be wrapped for Christmas 2011.
I brought the reindeer with me to work to find a suitable box to put it into. Of course, the deer was a hit the moment it’s four hooves touched the table. Everyone wanted to know the story behind this stuffed deer and who it was for. After giving them the history of the reindeer, he was quickly named by the Wholesale Department “Michael” for the person who will receive him for Christmas.
When the reindeer leaves my possession to go live with my son-in-law, I will miss it, as it would have made an excellent companion to go with my own nameless reindeer at home by the Christmas tree. Thinking about it now, maybe I should finally think of a name for it.
The reindeer was created from Vogue pattern #7601. Though no longer available in the stores, if you look under the Vogue archives, you might find it.
I used #8 and #10 needles for this pattern. The yarn I used was 70% Peruvian Wool and 30% microfiber Tirua by Ester Bitran. I had fun making this sweater. The only thing that was difficult for me was the neckband as I tried to figure out how to pick up so many stitches. I would love to make another. It took me three months to make this because I made five pairs of socks in between pieces of the sweater.
The next project I completed were these gray striped socks. The yarn I used was from my Grandmothers stash. The content of the yarn is 80% acrylic and 20% wool. My Grandmother gave me the rest of her yarn that she was going to use to knit socks. I never thought that I would be knitting and I’m glad I am. I can look back now and think of her as I click away. I have been knitting socks for 2 1/2 years and other things, mostly hats and scarves, for 7 1/2 years.
Depending on how much time I have, I can get a pair of socks done in about three days to 1 1/2 weeks. Knitting is very relaxing and I usually do it while watching shows and movies on t.v.
I could not find headbands for little girls or women that were halfway decent and at a reasonable price. I started my search for these items at Fabric Depot where I work in the Special Orders department. Using ready made headbands with different colors and plastic non-covered headbands, and the decorative elastic, I began creating my own with a theme. I used ribbons, trims, organzas, liquid lamé, bias tape, tulle, feathers, silk flowers, plain and beaded appliqués, plastic jewels, crystals, and glass beads.
As I was making hair accessories, I started thinking about the themed button packages. It seemed that there were so many different kinds for little boys, such as cars, dinosaurs, sport themes, bugs, pirates, monsters, lizards, etc. And so, I began making belts and suspendeors for little boys.
I saw the “Exclusively Quilters” bear print and immediately thought of my friend Jaunita who saw a bear while taking a walk. I knew that I would print her picture on the printable fabric and put her image into the bear’s mouth.
Happy Birthday, Jaunita!